by Dr. Rita Louise
Chromotherapy, or color therapy, uses light and color to bring about a state of health and healing in the body. Everyone knows how good it feels to take a walk out in nature. As we breathe in fresh air, the sun recharges our “batteries” leaving us feeling alive and refreshed.
The healing power of the sun and light has been used throughout time. Historical records share accounts of sick individuals who were brought out into the sun to restore their health. In Egypt, solarium-type rooms were erected with different colored panes of glass. The sun’s rays would be allowed to shine through the colored glass, surrounding the patient with colored light. In India, practitioners of the ancient health care system, Ayurveda, were taught about each of the seven chakras and the specific colors associated with them. In many cultures, jewelry was set with precious colored stones to protect the wearer from harm and disease.
Researchers are currently investigating the use of light and color to relieve ailments such as stress, fatigue, weight gain, sleeping disorders and hormonal problems.
The Application of Color Energy in Medicine
Every living thing on Earth is dependent upon light for its very existence. Rays of light from the sun contain the full spectrum of electromagnetic radiation. We recognize it as visible or white light. When light is passed through a prism, it is broken down into the different color waves that make up the color spectrum. The color spectrum includes the colors red, orange, yellow, green, blue, indigo and violet.
In color therapy, color is energy. Every cell and organ in our bodies has a specific vibrational frequency. Like tuning forks, each color also gives off its own vibration and is associated with specific healing properties. If applied correctly, each color can trigger changes towards better health and overall well-being.
Practitioners believe disorders can be healed by applying colors of corresponding vibrational energy, either to the whole body or to the organ affected. For example, shades of red affect our physical energies. It is stimulating and warming. Blues are cooling and cleansing, affecting our spiritual energies. The yellow shades serve to bridge them, affecting our mental energies. The three colors together provide opportunities for healing our body, mind and spirit.
Colors have been known to ease stress, fill us with energy, and even alleviate pain and other physical problems. Used to treat both physical and emotional problems alike, color therapy may involve exposure to colored lights, massages using color-saturated oils, contemplating and visualizing colors, wearing clothing of specific colors or eating colored foods.
The Vibration Of Colors
Like the colors light when seen through a prism, each color acts in specific ways on physical, emotional, mental and spiritual levels.
RED is the color of energy, vitality and power. Red is a powerful agent for healing diseases of the blood and circulation. It can be used to energize and stimulate and will help with depression.
ORANGE is also a color of energy. Orange has a gentle warming effect if used lightly. It is used to increase immunity. It has been used to help heal issues of sexual abuse, but should be used in this way very cautiously.
YELLOW is the color of intellect and it is used for mental stimulation. Yellow is thought to have decongestant and antibacterial properties and has a cleansing effect on the body. Emotionally, yellow stimulates happiness and brings on a sense of security and wellbeing.
GREEN is associated with harmony and balance. Green is a good general healing color because it stimulates growth and is good for reviving tired nerves and helps with issues of the heart. It can also help to balance the emotions and bring about a feeling of calmness.
BLUE is the color of truth, serenity and harmony, where it soothes the mind. Blue is good for cooling, calming and protecting. It has anti-inflammatory and muscle relaxing effects. It can also be used to promote the flow of communication and spiritual knowledge.
INDIGO is said to promote intuition. It is sedating and calming. It has been used to clear a congested head creating a clearer path for the conscious to connect to the spiritual self. .
PURPLE promotes enlightenment, revelation and spiritual awakening, where it will connect you with your spiritual self. It is good for mental and nervous problems.
Color Therapy Techniques
There are a number of different ways in which light and color can be used to promote healing. Here are a few that you can use to bring the healing energy of color into your life.
- The application of colored light is the technique most often used today by physicians and practitioners of color therapy. Healing is encouraged by directing specific colors or frequencies of light towards the diseased areas of the body or by treating the chakras.
- Color is often used in a variety of ways during meditation. Some practitioners have their clients focus on colors with specific therapeutic properties. Others have their clients focus their minds on a descending color ladder to calm the body and promote relaxation, while others have them focus on an ascending ladder to open and activate the chakras.
- Color breathing involves visualizing the inhalation of specific colors according to the benefit sought.
- “Solar elixirs", or sun-charged water, is an old science that still shows benefits today. Water is stored in a bottle of a particular color and exposed to the sun allowing the sun’s rays to pass through the colored glass into the water. It is believed the solarized water gains the properties of that color. Drinking this energized water is recommended for various aliments.
- Gems or crystals can also be placed in a clear bottle filled with water and exposed to the sun. The water then takes on the properties of not only the crystal, but of the crystal’s color.
- Color therapy can also include diet therapy. Here clients are advised to consume fruits and vegetable of the color they lack in their systems. For example, someone who is deficient in red energy and is suffering from anemia is advised to eat red colored foods such as beets, tomatoes and plums.
- Cloths of a particular color can be worn to increase its vibration in our daily lives.
As you can see, using color to promote healing can be very simple to use. This healing modality can be extremely powerful and can at times create an overwhelming emotional response, especially if you are sensitive. So it is important that you not overdose yourself with color. It’s healing benefits, however, have been seen and used since the beginning or recorded history and are still being used today.
This information is provided for educational purposes only.
The descriptions of nurtritional supplements are based on the historical usage of the various ingredients. They are not intended to promote any direct or implied health claims, and actual results of usage can vary.
The statements on this Web site have not been evaluated by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration, and are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.